Love ‘em or hate ‘em, beets provoke fierce opinions. Some say they taste like dirt, others like candy.
Whatever your feelings on beets, there’s no denying their amazing health benefits!
Here’s some health facts about beets:
- They’re good for your heart. Beets are a great source of nitrates, which are compounds that open up blood vessels and help lower blood pressure and heart rate.
- They reduce inflammation. The betalain in beets can reduce inflammation, which is a factor in many health problems, including heart disease, cancer and obesity.
- They improve digestive health. Beets are high in fiber, which is good for your gut. The fiber resists digestion in the stomach and small intestine and travels intact into the colon, where health-promoting gut bacteria ferment it and use it for food.
- They’re good for the brain. The nitrates in beets help improve brain function by increasing oxygen flow.
- They help lead the fight against cancer. Beets are known to have antioxidant properties, which protect cells from free radicals. Some researchers even see the potential for beet extracts for use in chemotherapy.
- They boost your immunity. Beets are high in zinc, copper and vitamins A and C — all nutrients known to boost immunity.
- They’re good for your eyes. Beets contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are well-studied for their positive impact on vision.
So there you have it! If you already love beets, then you know how amazing they are. If not, visit Muzzarelli Farms and pick up these delicious and healthy root veggies!
Click here to learn more about our farm market and be sure to stop by to get your next batch of beets!