The holiday season is a great time to come together with family and enjoy one another’s company. The best accompaniment, of course, is great food!
Here’s a recipe for one of our holiday favorites – stuffed portobello mushrooms.
This classic is simple yet insanely delicious. All you need is cream cheese, bacon, spinach and tomatoes to make this classic combo. Add some buttery panko topping to put it over the top!
- Cooking spray
- 8 portobello mushrooms, washed and stems and gills removed
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- Freshly chopped parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place mushrooms, stem side down on pan and brush with oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften. Soak up any excess water on pan with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, spinach, mozzarella, bacon, tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- In a medium bowl combine panko, Parmesan, and melted butter.
- Flip mushroom caps over and stuff with cream cheese mixture. Top with panko mixture.
- Bake until cheese is melty and tops are golden, 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Muzzarelli Farms is open May through November and carries a variety of Jersey Fresh produce. Click here to learn more about our farm market.