Made mostly with pantry ingredients this recipe also includes hearty greens and a squeeze of lemon for bright, fresh flavor. It’s seasoned with spices and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Whether you’re looking for a light meal or just a warm dish for the cold winter months, this healthy lentil soup recipe is for you!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens or kale, tough ribs removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (½ to 1 medium lemon), to taste
- Warm olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Once oil is shimmering, add chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in drained diced tomatoes and cook a few minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in lentils, broth and water. Add one teaspoon salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with black pepper. Raise heat and bring mixture to a boil, then partially cover pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer two cups of soup to a blender. Purée the soup until smooth and pour back into pot.
- Add chopped greens and cook five minutes until greens have softened.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in one tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with salt, pepper and/or lemon juice.
- Serve while hot.