It’s autumn, which means fall colors and pumpkins!
This month, let’s take a look at the health benefits of pumpkins.
While commonly thought of as a vegetable, the pumpkin is actually a fruit. However, they’re nutritionally more similar to vegetables than fruits.
Beyond their delicious taste, pumpkins are nutritious and linked to many health benefits:
- Pumpkins are loaded with immune system-boosting nutrients. Pumpkins are high in vitamins A and C, which boost your immune system. Additionally, their supply of vitamin E, iron and folate strengthen immunity, as well.
- Pumpkins are loaded with nutrients that are great for your skin. Beta-carotene acts as a natural sunblock. They also contain vitamins C and E, along with lutein and zeaxanthin, which keep your skin strong and healthy.
- Pumpkins are a nutrient-dense food that can help with weight loss. Pumpkins are packed with nutrients and yet has under 50 calories per cup. They’re also a great source of fiber, which suppresses appetite.
- Their antioxidant content lowers your risk of cancer. Carotenoids, which function as antioxidants, are compounds that help lower the risks of stomach, throat, pancreas and breast cancers.
- Their heart health benefits are aplenty. Pumpkins are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants that are linked to heart health benefits.
Rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, pumpkins are clearly incredibly healthy for you. What’s more, pumpkins are very versatile and easy to add to your diet in sweet and savory dishes.
Try incorporating pumpkin into your diet today to reap its health benefits – or simply to enjoy its delicious taste!
Muzzarelli Farms is open May through November and carries several varieties of pumpkins. Click here to learn more about our farm market.