If you thought smoothies are out of season in winter, think again! Of course, your fruits and vegetables are best when they’re Jersey Fresh. But until Muzzarelli Farm Market reopens in May, you can still make yummy smoothies with store-bought ingredients.
Not only are smoothies packed with nutritional value, but they also make for great, quick meals on the go. The top reason for drinking smoothies, however, is the taste. Because you make them with your favorite ingredients, they’re always delicious!
So, which is more beneficial from a health and nutrition standpoint, juicing or smoothies? The answer is smoothies, by a slim margin. They’re both made with real fruits and vegetables, so you can’t go wrong with either. But smoothies are made by blending all the ingredients together, whereas juicing presses the juice from the produce, resulting in a drink with no pieces of pulp. That pulp is the fiber that is present in fruits and veggies. Of course, fiber is important to digestive health because it keeps your digestive system stable and active.
The only tool you need to make a perfect smoothie is a blender. If you don’t have one, you can get a basic model for around $20, or top-of-the-line machine, with all the bells and whistles, for several hundred dollars.
There are a million ways to make a great smoothie, but here are the basics:
- Start by adding liquid to the blender. You can use plain water, milk or unsweetened almond milk.
- Next, add in your fibrous foods, like spinach, kale (remove the stems), collards or chard.
- Then you’ll want to toss in your frozen fruits and veggies. Any kind works, but frozen bananas and strawberries work well.
- After that, add in your fresh produce. Use what you have on hand. You might want to try using half an avocado.
- The last step before blending is optional, but this is when you would add in any chia seeds, turmeric, protein powder, collagen or other nutrition boosters.
- Start the blender on slow speed and gradually increase to the highest speed.
You can use ice instead of frozen fruit to make your smoothie nice and frosty.
Experiment with different ingredients and varying quantities of each until you find the perfect blend for you. Once you get hooked, you can enjoy the great taste and health benefits of your new favorite treat and look forward to improving upon it with farm-fresh ingredients from our market once May rolls around. We look forward to hearing about your perfect smoothies then!