Sweet Potatoes for Hair Care
Want soft, shiny, strong hair? Use a sweet potato hair conditioner! Sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile and nutritious vegetables, with surprising beauty benefits for skin and hair.
Sweet potatoes are one of the best sources of vital hair nutrients, including Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C, which helps to boost collagen production. They also contain omega-3 fatty acids which can add shine and luster to hair, while strengthening and nourishing the follicles. You can get these effects not just by eating sweet potatoes, but by applying them directly to your hair!
Here's a sweet potato mask that you can apply to your hair right at home (sweet potatoes are generally not an allergen, but like anything you put on your hair, it's best to test in a small area first).
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- If your hair is extra dry, you can also add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp coconut cream.
- Peel, cut and boil the sweet potato until soft, cut into small cubes, mash into a paste in a food processor or with a hand mixer, and set aside.
- Add the yogurt and honey (and the olive oil and coconut cream), and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Feel free to blend in a few drops of clove and/or vanilla essential oils to add scent.
- Dampen hair and add the sweet potato mixture to your hair in sections while the mixture is still warm (but not too hot).
- Cover hair with a plastic cap and towel and allow to sit for 15 minutes (or 30 minutes if your hair is very dry), then rinse with warm water. If hair is too oily, wash thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- And that's it! Silky, shiny, soft, smooth hair!