Stuffed Red Bell Peppers Recipe
Here is a recipe for Stuffed Red Bell Peppers, a delicious way to get the health benefits of red bell peppers that the whole family will love.
- 6 large (8-ounce) red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2/3 cup cooked white rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- Cut off top 1/2 inch of peppers and reserve. Scoop seeds from cavities. Discard stems and chop pepper tops.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, parsley, garlic, and chopped pepper pieces. Sauté until onions soften, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl. Mix in rice, paprika, salt, pepper, and allspice, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then beef and egg.
- Fill pepper cavities with beef mixture. Stand filled peppers in single layer in heavy large pot.
- Pour remaining 2 cups tomato sauce around peppers. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon some sauce over each pepper.
- Cover; cook until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through and firm, about 20 minutes.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover and chill. Rewarm covered over low heat.