Easy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Nothing is quite as comfortable as a bowl of rich, yummy hot soup on a cold winter evening. This recipe for Easy Sweet Potato Soup features coconut milk for a sweet, rich, nutty taste.
You'll love this delicious, vegan soup that's packed full of nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and a whopping 676mg of potassium! And total prep and cooking time is only 40 minutes!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups sweet potato cubed (around 1.5 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup water, plus more to thin out the soup if necessary
- 1/2 can full-fat coconut milk
- Try 3 or 4 from these optional seasonings: 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp curry powder, a pinch of hot chili powder, ¼ tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp ginger powder, ¼ tsp ground cardamom, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp turmeric, or 1 tsp garam masala.
- Optional: Top with bacon, parmesan cheese, coconut flakes, and/or rosemary or cilantro.
- Cook red onion and garlic in a large pot with canola oil until translucent.
- Add the cubed sweet potato, thyme and salt. Mix well, and roast for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add enough water to cover the sweet potatoes, and put a lid on top. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the coconut milk, then blend with a hand blender or allow it to cool for a bit and blend in a regular blender. Blend until it's completely creamy. You can add more water to thin out the consistency if you'd like, and add more salt to taste. Reheat in a pot, if needed.
- Stir in a couple of the seasonings to taste, or all of them if you're daring! Then garnish with some or all of the optional toppings.
- And that's it, your Sweet Potato Soup is ready to serve! Makes 2 servings.